Monday 24 September 2012

Tag: Beauty and Brains post.

Morning everyone :)

I originally saw this tag on Hannah's (Midnight Violets) blog, and I really liked the idea so I thought I'd give it a go. This is the first time I've tried a tag post, this is a nice straigtforward one. I'm considering trying both a "How Much Is Your Face Worth?" post and a "Shopping the Stash" post next (when I have the time, this week I have one day off!)

So without further rambling... Beauty and Brains!


Favourite Book - 
A hard question to answer as an English graduate! If I have to choose 1, it would be "The Glass Menagerie" by Tennessee Williams. Yes I know it's actually a play but I read it. I love that all of Tennessee Williams' plays are chock-full of layered metaphors and symbolism, but I particularly enjoy the figurative language in this play. The characters are Amanda, a faded Southern Belle, obsessed with finding her daughter Laura a husband. Laura, however is a socially isolated young woman who has retreated into her own little world, symbolised by her 'glass menagerie'. Laura's brother Tom, and the play's narrator, is a frustrated poet, who escapes into a night-time whirl of bars and cinemas to escape the bleak realities of his siituation.

Read it, and read up on the history behind it, it is completely fascinating! I think I love it so much because it was the first play of Williams' that I studied in my final year at school, and it made me realise just how multi-faceted literature can be, and it also makes you realise, through the events of the play, that the world is definitely not as black and white as people try to make it.

Favourite Quotes - 
Again, difficult as an English graduate, but I think I have to go with Oscar Wilde's preface to "The Picture of Dorian Gray.":
The artist is the creator of beautiful things. To reveal art and conceal the artist is art's aim. The critic is he who can translate into another manner or a new material his impression of beautiful things.
The highest as the lowest form of criticism is a mode of autobiography. Those who find ugly meanings in beautiful things are corrupt without being charming. This is a fault.
Those who find beautiful meanings in beautiful things are the cultivated. For these there is hope. They are the elect to whom beautiful things mean only beauty.
There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all.
The nineteenth century dislike of realism is the rage of Caliban seeing his own face in a glass.
The nineteenth century dislike of romanticism is the rage of Caliban not seeing his own face in a glass. The moral life of man forms part of the subject-matter of the artist, but the morality of art consists in the perfect use of an imperfect medium.
No artist desires to prove anything. Even things that are true can be proved. No artist has ethical sympathies. An ethical sympathy in an artist is an unpardonable mannerism of style. No artist is ever morbid. The artist can express everything.
Thought and language are to the artist instruments of an art. Vice and virtue are to the artist materials for an art. From the point of view of form, the type of all the arts is the art of the musician. From the point of view of feeling, the actor's craft is the type. All art is at once surface and symbol. Those who go beneath the surface do so at their peril.
Those who read the symbol do so at their peril. It is the spectator, and not life, that art really mirrors. Diversity of opinion about a work of art shows that the work is new, complex, and vital. When critics disagree, the artist is in accord with himself. We can forgive a man for making a useful thing as long as he does not admire it. The only excuse for making a useless thing is that one admires it intensely.
All art is quite useless.
I particularly love the part about finding ugly and beautiful meanings in the world. Makes dealing with trolls a whole lot easier! :P

English or Maths - 
Eh... what do you think?

Science or Art - 
Strangely, I prefer science! I loved studying chemistry and physics at school. Although in my later years at school, most of my subjects were arts-based, I still preferred (and was slightly better at) sciences.

Name five music artists or albums that changed your life - 
Imogen Heap - Speak For Yourself
Joshua Radin - Rock and the Tide
Less Than Jake - In With the Out Crowd
Runrig - Cutter and the Clan
Anberlin - Never Take Friendship Personal

All of the above albums pretty much sum up my teenage years (and twenty-something years :P)

Favourite & Least Favourite Subjects at School - 
Again, what do you think? Loved English, hated Maths. Although I got top grades in my Higher Maths, I am convinced that this was due to a mix-up at the exam board. Because I was (pardon my French) shite at maths. I still am, I hate having to deal with any finance at work because I can barely count!
Favourite 'Celebrity with a Brain' - 
Bill Bailey. He's smart, he's extremely funny and he can also play loads of instruments. I struggle to play two!
If you could study anything anywhere, what would it be?
I'd like to go back to uni to do a course on Autism Studies, I'm already planning to do this once I move back to Glasgow. The University of Strathclyde has an amazing Centre for Autism Studies, so I want to apply there to do a postgraduate diploma then a Masters. I'm just greedy, I already have 2 degrees :P
What's your nerdy little secret? 
At the moment, probably that I really enjoy "Storage Wars" and "Pawn Stars" on the History Channel. Weird, but the one-liners the folk come out with can be outstanding!

Favourite beauty Guru(s), who you admire for more than their love of beauty/fashion - 
Probably one would be my friend Claire over at Eyelining Obsessions  because not only does she know her stuff, she's incredibly smart, and in her own words: "...likes her coffee like her heart: black and bitter." - she's just as cynical as I can be, but is lovely and funny on top of it. 

If your channel/blog didn't focus on Beauty/Fashion, what would it be? 
If I was allowed, I would talk about my experiences working with people with ASDs. But since I'm not sure of the legal in's and out's re: client protection, I'd rather not. Though maybe once I've worked for my company a little longer, I might ask if I can guest-blog for them on some projects.
Name some things that you're obsessed with that other people would find strange or geeky - 
Adventure Time! It's the most amazingly cute cartoon from the U.S.. It's on Cartoon Network UK most mornings, but it's so funny and, like most brilliant kids cartoons, has a lot of adult jokes subtly hidden in there.Plus they have loads of cute songs like this :)

Name five people (excluding friends and family) who inspire you - 
Err...I'm not too sure. I don't really find a lot of famous people inspiring. I'm not very good at gushing over celebrities and such, I always cringe at people who do it on Twitter and Facebook. I can think of a few people that I admire, and enjoy their work though, so how about that?
1. Joshua Radin - One of America (and the wider world)'s most talented singer/songwriters. And it pisses me off that people in the U.K. fawn over Ed Sheeran, when Joshua Radin has been working harder for longer, writes better music and has a better voice. So go check him out and see what I mean. www.joshuaradin.co.uk 
2. Matthew Inman - Matthew writes and blogs on his site "The Oatmeal". www.theoatmeal.com. Not only is he a brilliant comedic observer, he's also pretty impressive at raising money for charitable causes. Currently he's trying to raise money to build a museum dedicated to Nikola Tesla at Wardenclyffe, with the current total sitting at over $1.2 million. Unbelievable!
3. Alasdair Gray - A Scottish artist, writer and fantastic chess player. Gray wrote one of Scotland's most amazing novels of the 20th century, "Lanark: A Life in 4 Books". He is also the creator of some of Glasgow's most beautiful murals. If you're ever in Glasgow, get the subway to Hillhead station, then have a drink/lunch or just a wander round Oran Mor on Byres Road if you'd like to see some of his wonderful works. 

4. Edwin Morgan - another famous Scot! Edwin Morgan is one of Scotland's most prolific writers and poets. He wrote poetry and plays right up until his death in 2010 at the age of 90! He never lost his mind, or his unique literary style. My favourite of his poems in "Strawberries". 

I can't think of another person, so tough :P

Who's your intellectual soulmate -  
Now this is probably going to sound cheesy, cringey, sickening etc. But I'd probably have to say my boyfriend Kristopher. We share a lot of common interests, and we enjoy a lot of the same TV shows, music and places. I think he's my intellectual soulmate because although Kris isn't university-educated or have a full college course behind him, he is easily one of the smartest (if not THE smartest) person I know. He's sharp as a tack, and can always see solutions to problems that would have me in a flap. He keeps me calm when I'm having a neurotic moment, he is the laid-back to my highly-strung nature. And what's brilliant is that he doesn't boast, is quietly confident and doesn't show off, even though he could easily out-fox you in a debate. And on top of it all, he's the nicest guy ever. Every guy I know has a huge man-crush on him (I find this hilarious, it's like a fan-club; I have to remind them sometimes that it's me he's dating!) So yes my boyfriend Kris = intellectual soulmate.

Well that is an awful lot of rambling from me, apologies! But that's me in a nutshell, I never shut up. Hope you enjoyed finding out a little more about me :)

Christina xo



No comments:

Post a Comment